It’s only a few sleeps away. Canberra’s biggest red-carpet fashion event hosts opening night this Thursday at 6.30pm at the National Convention Centre Canberra.
Fashion not really your thing? Think again. FASHFEST definitely focuses on new designer collections, but it’s also so much more. It’s about celebrating the creations of many capital creatives, across many disciplines.
Here are our top 10 reasons to get together a group of friends and head to FASHFEST.
- Great social night out. FASHFEST is a great chance to get out with friends, meet new people, enjoy some bubbles and do something out-of-the-ordinary.
- Live music. FASHFEST doesn’t do piped-in music. This year 25 musicians will play across the event’s six shows, with more female artists playing than ever before. Think jazz, soul, pop, hip-hop and more.
- Original films. FASHFEST incorporates an original film by a Canberra filmmaker into each show, supporting the theme of that show. Each film promises to make you see the capital in a new light.
- Local designer fashion. FASHFEST will always play local designers front and centre. Around 14 independent labels will present new collections on the catwalk—supported by amazing hair and makeup. The line-up includes some of Canberra’s all-time faves such as Karen Lee, Zilpah Tart, Sovata, Edition and Pure Pod.
- New labels. FASHFEST gives you a chance to see collections from designers you might not know about, including new local labels to the event this year, including VFP and Beleza Designs from Canberra, and regional labels like Charly Thorn, Elle Hopwood and Rasa Mauragis.
- Amazing people watching. Some guests get totally glammed up for FASHFEST and others less so. Regardless, you’ll find the people watching fascinating. Keep your eye out for the details. Jewellery. Hats. Shoes. Bags.
- Fun in front of the media wall. FASHFEST has several media walls, including the biggest one ever this year. It’s a hoot to get yourself snapped.
- Foyer exhibitions and more. FASHFEST’s main foyer is full of fun. The event’s fashion illustrator, Johanna Dziadkiewicz, will have an exhibition and be drawing live in the floyer. Canberra’s fletcherLovell will host an exhibition of amazing flat shoes, and Sovata will conduct a live photo shoot after her show.
- Inexpensive. Tickets start at just $49 (including GST) and with the event’s tiered seating there’s not a bad seat in the house.
- Support local event. FASHFEST is brought to Canberra by Clint and Andrea Hutchinson, two locals who decided it wasn’t good enough that we were the only capital in Australia to not have its own annual red-carpet fashion event. They’re supported by a massive team of dedicated experts and volunteers who all need our support.
FASHFEST is on 29 September to 1 October. Three nights. Six distinct shows (one starting at 6.30pm and one at 8.30pm). One total fashion experience. Tickets on sale now @ www.fashfest.com.au