This year’s model casting has smashed a record for Canberra with more than 470 models already applying to strut their stuff on the catwalk at the capital’s largest red carpet fashion event. The number of registrants continues to grow, surpassing last year’s record of 300 by a long stretch.
Diversity has always been important to FASHFEST and this year is no different. FASHFEST is on the lookout for male and female models of different ages and ethnic backgrounds. At last year’s event, Red Corner Boxing was looking for athletic models, Karen Lee required a mature look and Prodigal Daughter and Hana Apparel Design selected models that helped them celebrate the ethnic diversity of their designs (Africa and the Middle East).
This year’s judging panel features:
- Hayley O’Neill, a Sydney-based stylist and Fashion Office Coordinator at Marie Claire Australia, who originally hails from Canberra.
- Robert Coppa, an internationally renowned fashion photographer who has been behind the lens for 12 years.
- Victoria Schnable, owner of Victoria’s Models, Canberra’s longest running agency.
- Tina Nikolovski, a photographer and now director of Canberra’s newest modelling agency, Devojka Models, established in 2015.
- Andrea Hutchinson, Managing Director of HAUS Models, herself former model from Switzerland.
The casting is a relaxed day full of selfies and fun with music by DJ Hamish Lardi, who has built his profile playing iconic Canberra events and nightlife venues, NeonHoney, a Canberra-based singer-songwriter, and Ashley Feraude, FASHFEST’s official music director, a DJ and music producer who operates under the alias Magnifik.
“The music will give the models a taste of what they can expect at the live shows. It is also about keeping the energy up so the models can feel good and do their best,” says Ashley.
This open casting is available to all models 16 years of age and above. It will be held from 10am on Sunday 22 May at the National Convention Centre, a major FASHFEST partner.